The secret to making a perfect Swiss Fondue is to using the right kind of cheese. Two cheeses to be precise — they are Gruyere and Vacherin Fribourgeois (not to be confused with Vacherin Mont d’Or).
Here's the recipe:
Fondue Moitie-Moitie (for 4 people)
- Rub the fondue pot with the clove of garlic (optional, leave the garlic in the pot)
- Over medium heat, mix in the pot Gruyere, white wine, and starch until smooth, whilst stirring continuously
- Add Vacherin Fribourgeois and mix until smooth
- Optional: add kirsch and pepper.
- Transfer from the stove to the burner and enjoy with some crusty bread. (To further enhance your meal you can enjoy it with some boiled potatoes, crunchy gherkins, pickled onions, and a glass of wine).
Vacherin Fribourgeois cheese is a bit of an endangered species so it is hard to come by. We stock it only in the winter. If you'd like to buy some please click here.
Looking for a nice wine to go with your fondue? I highly recommend this fabulous Gruner Veltliner.
The Cheese Lady x