How to bake Vacherin Mont D’Or
I absolutely adore this quintessential winter cheese. The wait for it (it’s in season between September and March) makes it ever so more special and desirable. When Vacherin Mont d’Or is back on the shelves, I think it’s imperative to enjoy it as frequently as possible and get more out of every bite.
Vacherin Mont d’Or is utterly delicious as it is. Made from raw cows’ milk, camembert-like in texture with a slight pungency on the rind and spruce bark around it. But when the cheese is baked, it’s elevated to a whole other level of deliciousness.
The heart-warming one-cheese-fondue is incredibly easy to prepare. Please follow the steps below to bake it at home:
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
- Remove plastic packaging but leave everything else as is (the cheese in the wooden box and its lid underneath).
- Wrap the wooden box with cheese in a piece of foil.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 mins check the cheese with a spoon: if it’s runny and liquid, it’s nearly ready.
- Leave the foil open and put the cheese back in the oven for 5 mins to slightly brown the top.
The best way to enjoy this gooey and wonderfully spruce-y cheese is by pouring it over boiled baby potatoes and complementing it with crunchy gherkins, charcuterie, a glass of medium bodied red (or white) wine.